Sunday, May 4, 2008

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree

My Jonah Bear is one picky eater. I know this is a toddler thing, but his daddy has been known to pick at food too, so I was thinking it may be genetic. When I first met Michael he had never even tried Chinese food (now he loves it).

After this week though, I'm starting to think I may be the pickiest eater in this family. Michael has a favorite snack he occasionally eats at bedtime. It truly disgusts me. (I find myself snarling at the computer even as I type this.) It's saltine crackers crumbled in a cup of milk, and he eats the soggy nasty crackers out of the cup with a spoon. He tells me it's just like cereal and keeps nagging me to try it. Call me crazy, but I just don't want to eat salty cereal.

The other day, Michael sat down with his crackers and milk, and as I began to tell him how gross it was, Jonah wandered over and asked, "whas dat?". I watched in horror as Michael scooped up a soggy cracker and fed it to Jonah. Then I hear Jonah say, "Mmm! Dat is gooooood"! I think my eyes bugged out of my head.

I discovered on Tuesday that they both like french fries dipped in chocolate milk shake. Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

They've bonded nicely over Tom and Jerry cartoons as well. It's the one TV show they both sit and giggle at. I'll have to catch that with the digital camera soon. It always makes me smile.

4 comments:

RG Mama said...

Oh. Mah. Got. I just threw up in my mouth a little. That is disgusting!

Anonymous said...

I knew a family that used to eat crackers and milk like that too at bedtime! I agree - gross. I also knew someone who crumbled leftover cornbread in milk and ate that. Uh-oh - hope your husband doesn't read your blog - I just gave him an idea lol

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Wow, didn't even know ANYONE ate Saltines and milk. Can't even imagine how it would taste.

Anonymous said...

dad and i still giggle at old cartoons. i love it.