Tuesday, May 5, 2009

who what where when why how

Jonah is getting exceptionally good at asking questions. His curiosity often extends FAR beyond my area of expertise. I mean, I know nothing about gas meters. The constant asking of "why" can be overwhelming at times, but for the most part, his questions fascinate me.

Some of our conversations this week have seriously cracked me up because it's obvious there's a a little something lost in translation.

Conversation #1:
Jonah: Mama, I got somethin' sticky on my arm!!! An' it smells BLECK! What is it?!?!?!
Mama: Let me sniff it.....Jonah, that's teriyaki sauce. Did you touch the bag on the kitchen counter?
Jonah:
YEEESSSS. OOOOOAAAH! Why is it yucky sauce?!?!!!!!!
Mama:
Not yucky sauce, baby. TeriYAKI sauce.

Conversation #2:
We went to Lester's birthday party at the White Tank Regional Park last Saturday. On the way home from the party, Jonah and I had a 15 minute conversation about why mountain lions and coyotes need to stay in the park. The main reason being, so Lucy and Dixie (our dogs) will not get eaten. Jonah decided that Dixie would lose in a fight with a mountain lion, and Lucy would win since she is big and has thick fur.

Sunday morning on the way to church, Jonah randomly started telling Daddy about how Lucy would win in a fight against
power lines. I wonder if the whole time we were discussing mountains lions he was picturing Lucy in a fight with a power line?!

Conversation #3:
I decided to have a fire safety day at the house. Jonah and I discussed, then practiced, all the things Mikey does here. Finally, I began to walk him to each of the smoke alarms to help me test the batteries. Jonah flipped out before I could press the first button. I mean, full on tears and panic. After I calmed him down, I realized that he firmly believed that pressing that button would MAKE smoke and fire.

Conversation #4:
Jonah told me his throat was hurting last night. I asked him if it was scratchy, or if it was stinging. He swallowed, and then thought before saying, "it feels like I ate too much food an' it's stuck in my phroat under my cheek." I felt his neck, and sure enough, one of his tonsils was swollen!

6 comments:

J Pelham Family said...

Cute story! Isn't this such a nice way to document everything! So easy to keep up with!

And yes! I am! Who else is?? I saw your facebook message today. I know Jill obviously, but who else?

kasogayle said...

Ahh..the endless questions. Abby has given up on me, since alot of her questions have gotten to the point i have to say "I don't know, but let's look it up..." and now, she asks a TON of "what's your favorite..." questions. I never knew I needed so many favorites!

Joe, Jill, Lester, & our twin girls said...

This is a funny post! It really amazes me the things Lester has come up with lately as well! Oh, to be 3 again!

And by the way, I LOVE your new blog header!!!! How do you come up with this cute stuff!!!!???? I'm jealous!

Mrs. Joyce said...

I think he learned this stuff from you and Joy. His style is such a combo of you two when communicating. Makes me wonder how Gracie will express her questions. I woke up yesterday wishing I could hold Gracie and read a book to Jonah. Sigh.

RG Mama said...

I am just amazed at the creative ways he describes his ailments. Really. He is going to be quite the creative writer in school.

TheHarriman Family said...

I love the cute stories. He is quite the comedian! The "power lines" cracked me up! I love your new blog header!