Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beautiful Day

Nap strikes are a major patience killer around here. Grrrr. Jonah knows this is a red button for Mama, even though I try to keep calm.

Several weeks ago, on an excellent day for a nap, I put him in his bed, shut the blinds, turned on his sleep CD, and closed the door quietly. Jonah did not go to sleep. No. He chewed through the dry wall on the ledge of his window. When I opened his door to let him know it was "quiet time" not "bark like a puppy time", I saw the flakes of dry wall on his mouth and all over the floor. I was livid. Jonah's eyes opened wide and he stammered, "I jes got to go to da baphroom!". Like that was a good excuse for making a snack out of his window sill.

As he was sitting on the toilet, doing his business, I watched him studying my face, trying to predict my reaction to his new distraction-tactic. (I'm sure steam was shooting out of my ears.) He propped his chin in his hands, elbows resting on his knees, feet swinging in front of the toilet, and said, "Mama. It sure is a beautiful day."

4 comments:

TheHarriman Family said...

That totally cracks me up! At
least he has a sense of humor :-)......

Mrs. Joyce said...

I am laughing way too hard for your comfort level.

Alisa Palmer said...

this is the best story!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Oh my gosh! He's so funny! I'm sure the drywall wasn't funny, but I could laugh on his comments for days!

Happy Birthday!