Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Texas and my Social Butterfly

Jonah, Michael’s mom, and I just got back from Texas. We took this trip to visit Michael’s side of the family, without Michael (he had to work). The last time his family saw Jonah he was 10 months old, or something like that. This trip was long overdue.

One of the things I’ve noticed about Jonah over the last 2 1/2 years, is that he is an extreme extrovert. When he’s in social situations he’s recharged. Trips to visit family are especially stimulating for his little toddler brain and he seems to absorb details, perfect motor skills, and try new things while we’re there. I’m always amazed by this phenomenon. It’s like the social stimulation sends his brain into super-soaker mode.

On this particular trip I came away with so many sweet moments, I had to write them down before the memories fade.

The first moment was the flight from Arizona to Texas. We had to wake Jonah up at 4:30 in the morning to make it to the airport in time for our 7:55 flight. He does NOT wake up happy. This kid needs orange juice and TV in the morning or else. Anyway, he was so contrary all morning, I couldn’t help but laugh when I pointed out the "big airplane" from the window of our departure gate and he scowled at me and said, "dat is NOT a big airpane, dat is a big jet". I stand corrected. Where did he learn to call them jets?

The day after we arrived, Michael’s Mammaw told me it might snow that night. I was excited because Jonah’s never seen snow, but didn’t want to get too hopeful because it might snow too late in the evening for him to see it and melt before he woke up the next morning. At 11:30 that morning I put Jonah down for a nap and when I came downstairs it was snowing like CRAZY. The kind of wet snow that sticks instantly. I was only upstairs for 10 minutes and there was already a thin layer of snow on the patio! I couldn’t WAIT for Jonah to wake up!

When he finally woke up 2 1/2 hours later there was at least 3 inches of snow on the ground and it was still snowing heavily. They were predicting 3-5 inches for our area, and we wound up with 9 inches!!! It was a doozy for Jonah’s first snow!





















































We took a very short side trip to Abilene and visited with my parents, grandparents, two of my sisters, and nieces. At Sunday lunch, Nannie brought her famous mac n’ cheese, smashed taters, Nannie bread, and chocolate pie to go with brisket from Sharon’s. Jonah only had eyes for the macaroni. In fact, while my Dad gave thanks, Jonah whispered very loudly, "tankyou for my macaroni", then when I shushed him (and everyone who was laughing at him) he leaned over to my mom and whispered, again, very loudly "Marmee, sshhhh! Granpa’s prayin’".

Finally, once we were back at Sandra’s, we discovered a park with a fort-style slide. Jonah dragged Michael’s mom (Meemaw) up the ladder and down the slide several times. Once she went up ahead of him and he hollared up to the fort tower, "Meemaw! Wait right der! I’ll save you!" Where did he learn this? I’ve so enjoyed that he’s been playing pretend this year, and his ideas always tickle me. This age is definitely MY favorite! He kept yelling, "Super Jonah to the rescue", and Meemaw (bless her heart) was playing the damsel in distress, "Oh! Super Jonah! Saaaaave me". It was precious!

1 comments:

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

So funny! Don't they say the cutest things?!